Sunday, March 11, 2012

Magical Fountains, Movies, and More

I'm beginning to feel a little more settled in this place. This will be my 4th day here for the second time around! And it has, of course, been a busy 4 days! 

Thursday was my first day back after my travels. Luckily, I didn't have to be anywhere until a 4:00 orientation for Political Science students at PUCP. My host brother, Ignacio, rode the combi with me to make sure I could find my way. The orientation was fairly short and I returned home briefly to grab a few things I needed before heading to a night tour of Lima in a double decker bus! The tour was neat-- we got to see Huaca Pucllana (ruins) in Miraflores, the financial district of San Isidro, and many historical buildings in downtown Lima (churches, the presidential palace, etc.) We also stopped at Parque de la Reserva aka the Magical Circuit of Water. The park is full of fountains and we got to play in the labyrinth fountain for a while, getting completely soaked! 

Kaylie, Veronica, and I in front of the labyrinth 

The whole group in front of the Rainbow Fountain

Friday morning began with meetings with our Resident Director and Housing Coordinator (Lali and Mama Laura). Then, Veronica and I went and purchased tickets for Semana Santa, Holy Week during Easter! A group of six of us are going to Ayacucho, a town in the Andes known for having the most elaborate Easter processions in Peru! I'm pretty excited! We then ate lunch  on the Calle de Pizzas (Pizza Street) to celebrate one of the IFSA student's birthdays! 

After lunch, we had a fairly long Spanish class. In the evening, Kaylie, Veronica, and I went to the movies at Larcomar with Kaylie's two host sisters. We watched "Hugo". Fortunately, it was in English with Spanish subtitles so I didn't have to work too hard to understand it! After the movie, we went back to Kaylie's apartment and played Apples to Apples with her host sisters! 
Larcomar, a mall built into the cliffs above the ocean! 

Saturday morning I got up and went for a run with Ava, another IFSA student. It was a beautiful morning, but pretty hot! After showering and eating with my family, I headed to the beach with most of the other study abroad students. We walked to a beach in Barranco where it was a little more sandy than rocky. We had a good time although the waves were fairly big and we had to keep a close eye on our things! In the evening, I just relaxed, picked up my laundry from the lavanderia, and ate dinner with my family! Today is all about relaxing, getting ready for classes to start tomorrow, and Skyping with Andy and my family! 



Megan, Martha, and I on the playa! 

An absolutely adorable little boy! 

Fog rolling in over the hills



1 comment:

  1. Oh my- you are soo busy! But it sure all sounds like fun! :) The rainbow fountain is just too much- i love it! And random- how's the pizza there compare to american pizza? haha :)

    ReplyDelete