Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Gringa Returns from Gringoland

After a long overnight flight, a very busy few days, a cancelled return flight, and, at last, another long flight, I am back in Peru! Thanks for all the thoughts, prayers, well wishes, and phone calls!


The end of last week was busy (of course!) Thursday included a trip to the Museo Metropolitano-- an interactive museum about the history of Lima! It was a very cool experience with photographs, 3D videos, models, and even 4D experiences with shaking chairs during an earthquake! I would definitely recommend it if you decide to visit Lima and have a little knowledge of Spanish! In the evening, a couple of friends and I visited the local supermarket and then I took a long walk with my aunt Frida to see various important spots in the neighborhood (the laundromat, church, parks, etc.)
Surco, a little park right next to my house in Miraflores
Friday was another full day. We took our first ever combi (crazy, teeny tiny buses) to La Catolica-- the university I'll be attending. The campus is beautiful! It's very green and spacious and there are small deer that roam around freely! We also stumbled across some pre-Incan ruins-- very cool! We toured the campus, got our ID cards, and ate a very nice lunch in a cafeteria. In the afternoon, we took Spanish placement tests for our Spanish class... ugh. Last but not least, we had a lesson about "surviving Lima"-- all the scary things that could possibly happen to us and how to avoid them! We rode the combis home, I ate a super fast dinner, and then I took a taxi to the airport!
The huaca, ruins, at La Católica
I was hoping I would be able to get a lot of sleep on the overnight flight, but unfortunately Delta decided it would be a good idea to serve dinner at 2:30 a.m., drinks throughout the night, and breakfast around 5:30! All in all, not the most restful night. When I finally got into my hotel in Kansas City around 2:00, I slept and relaxed most of the day!


Sunday, my family arrived! It was so nice to see them. It's funny: no matter how long I'm gone, it feels like forever, but whenever I am back with them, it's like no time has passed. I guess that's the great thing about family. We had a nice day together, walking around and exploring the area. In the evening, I went to dinner with the other Truman finalists at a local Thai restaurant. Afterwards, my mom helped me prep for my interview and I tried to get some sleep!
Awkward picture of me by myself pre interview
I got to the District Courthouse a little before 8:30 on Monday morning. The other finalists and I spent the day together in one room while we were called out for interviews in another room. My interview wasn't until 2:00 so I spent most of the day just trying to stay relaxed and getting to know the other finalists. It was really awesome to meet so many passionate, interesting, and intelligent people! I feel like my interview went pretty well, too, so now we'll just have to wait until March 30 to hear the results!


Monday evening, my family and I headed to Johnny's Barbeque. The food was really good and I loved spending the evening with my family! I was really sad when I had to say goodbye to them Tuesday morning in the airport. 
I l-o-v-e my family! 
Then my flight was cancelled due to electrical problems! I got put up in a local hotel overnight and, at last, left on Wednesday afternoon, a full day late! The return was fairly uneventful and I met my nice taxi driver at the airport, got to my host family's home, and slept! I'm so grateful that I had the opportunity to make it to the Truman finalist interview and see my family a bit more. Now on to more Peruvian adventures...

1 comment:

  1. On wednesday night at the boys intramural bball game Andy was telling me a little about your flight mishap- that's crazy! Glad you made it back safely to Peru so you can have more adventures for us! hehe. :)

    ReplyDelete